SwagBucks

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Un-Merry Christmas

I just found out that some dear friends have chosen to end their marriage. I also know of friends who have lost a parent or grandparent recently. Others I know have a loved one away for Christmas serving our country in the military. I have a friend living overseas that could not swing it, financially speaking, to be home this year.

I can't help but think that this Christmas is not a merry one for many.

If you are experiencing an Un-Merry Christmas, I extend to you my sympathies. Remember the true reason for celebrating this time of year: the birth of the Savior, the promised Messiah. Even though friends and family may not be with you this time of year and you are experiencing heartache-remember that despite what the Christmas movies and songs tell us, it is not family and gifts that make Christmas; it is the celebration of God sending his Son into the world to be our Reedemer that we celebrate.

If you have all the joys of the holiday, but know someone who does not, consider extending an inviation to them to join in your holiday fun. When I was a kid, my parents used to invite bachelors over to our house during the Christmas (and Thanksgiving) holidays who had no one to spend the season with. I can't remember any of their names, but I do remember the lesson of sharing and celebrating with others during the holidays and can imagine what it meant to them to have someone to be with on a day that can be lonely for those without family this time of year.

If you anticipate a lonely Christmas, remember He who is always with you. Remember that Jesus knew what it meant to be alone. He knew heartache. He knew grief. He knows what you are going through and really is a friend to us. May your Un-Merry Christmas become a day where you can find reason to celebrate and worship the King born in Bethlehem 2,000 years ago!!

No comments: